I exist in a world where a large consensus of people are not used to eating a plant-based plate. So I should not be surprised when I hear people say things like “I never knew you could eat broccoli raw”. Well step right up folks and let me indulge you in the wonder that is this Broccoli Crunch Salad. It’s nothing original,you can find a version in most supermarket delis. But this one,I guarantee, is the simplest to make and you get a big flavor payout for very little effort.
This is a great vegan take along for picnics or potlucks and the omnivores will be non-the-wiser after your eating hippie granola food. A big Mahalo to Joey on Facebook for asking me about this salad and motivating me to finally type up the recipe and make a video.
Adjust the ingredient measurements to your liking. In real life, I don’t ever measure when making this salad. Just be sure you have enough dressing to coat the veggies. Add a squeeze of lemon if you prefer a tangy dressing. And if you give it a try, post a pic to Instagram and tag me in it.
- 1 medium sized head organic broccoli
- ¼ cup(40g) chopped red onion
- 1 large carrot,grated
- 2 ribs celery,chopped (or sub diced green apple)
- 1 cup(120g) spicy pecans,chopped
- ½ cup(75g) dried cranberries (or raisins)
- ¼ cup(30g) un-bacon bits
- ¾ cup(165g) vegan mayo
- 2 tablespoons brown rice syrup (or sub maple syrup,agave,etc)
- 1½ tablespoons spicy mustard
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- salt & pepper
- In a small bowl,combine vegan mayo,mustard,curry powder and brown rice syrup.
- Mix well, add salt & pepper to taste. Set aside.
- Cut broccoli florets into bite-sized pieces add to large mixing bowl.
- Toss in carrots,celery,onions,pecans,cranberries.
- Pour in dressing and mix until veggies are well coated.
- Add un-bacon bits right before serving.
- Note: This salad tastes best after being refrigerated for a few hours before serving. Keep unused portion in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days.