My home state is Hawaii and a scoop of potato salad is offered with every plate lunch, bento or picnic we eat. But, the Hawaiian style mayo/salt/pepper potato mac is not a dish that makes my mouth sing. Thank goodness my mother makes a “family famous” version that everyone raves about. I’ve veganized her recipe and added some of my own flair, this one’s a winner!
The secret ingredients are Colman’s mustard and the Vegg. I use the Colman’s mustard because it does not have any vinegar in it and I am a fan of the distinct kick it gives to the dressing. The Vegg makes the dressing thick and creamy and adds another level of savory flavor. The veggies add texture and a brightness to both the appearance and the taste of this potato salad.
Potato Salad plus!
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 40 minutes
Keywords: salad side dairy free nut-free vegan vegetarian potato summer
Ingredients (12 servings)
- 6-8 large russet potatoes, skin on
- 1 cup chopped celery or water chestnuts
- 1/4 cup chopped red onion
- 1/2 cup sun dried tomatoes, chopped
- 1/4 cup roasted red bell peppers
- 3 tablespoons Italian parsley, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup Vegenaise ( add more to taste)
- 1/2 cup prepared Vegg
- 1 tablespoon Coleman’s mustard
- 3 tablespoons sweet pickle relish
- 1 teaspoon celery salt
- 1 tablespoon dill
- 2 tablespoons citrus garlic seasoning blend ( or something similar to Old Bay)
- salt & pepper
Boil the potatoes with the skin on until easily pierced with a fork ( about 30-40 minutes). Remove from heat, drain and cool potatoes. Peel off skins and cut into bite sized cubes. Add to a large bowl with all of the veggie ingredients.
Mix all of the ingredients for the dressing. You may want to use more of the Vegg mixture for a creamier taste. Adjust seasonings and add salt & pepper to taste.
Pour the dressing over the potatoes and veggies. Mix until potatoes are well coated.Garnish with heirloom grape tomatoes, spicy pickled green beans or vegan bacon bits.
Left overs can be stored covered in the fridge for up to 2 days.