Okonomiyaki is a savory Japanese style pancake and literally translates to Okonomi “to your liking” + yaki “grill”. This one skillet meal since is a great way to eat a lot of cabbage (or your favorite greens) topped with crunchy, savory, salty goodies.
This is one of my favorite ways to eat cabbage and I use green onions straight from the garden.
The super fun ingredient I added was vegan prawns. I first discovered Sophie’s Kitchen vegan seafood during ExpoWest way back in March. It took awhile for me to get my hands on the products here in Hawaii, but let me tell you, it was worth the wait. The prawns look amazingly real and lend a chewy, bounce to the pancake. Added bonus: they are gluten and soy-free. The vegan calamari is also mind-blowing amazing. I served it fried up and slathered in home made tartar sauce.
I thought it might be fun if you could win some of the ingredients I used in this recipe, so I’m having a giveaway for (2) free products from Sophie’s Kitchen, (2) packets of The Vegg and (6) That’s It Fruit Bars! That prize pack should keep your taste buds happy.
To Enter the Giveaway:
- “Like” Sophie’s Kitchen Vegan Seafood on Facebook or Twitter
- Leave a comment on my Oknomiyaki YouTube video telling me which Sophie’s Kitchen Vegan Seafood product you’d most like to try
- *Totally optional Extra Credit: Like The Vegg and That’s It on Facebook or Twitter and leave me a comment on this blog post letting me know that you did
- Giveaway ends on Oct. 31, 2012. I will select a winner and they will be contacted via YouTube messages (please check your inbox!)Contest open to US and Canada residents.
Recipe adapted from the popular YouTube show “Cooking with Dog” (the dog is the host, not an ingredient) Okonomiyaki remastered
- For the pancake
- 1 cup cake flour (or mix ¾cup +2 tablespoons all purpose flour with 2 tablespoons cornstarch)
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- 1 tablespoon dulse (optional)
- ¾ cup water or kombu dashi
- 4 tablespoons prepared Vegg
- 2 vegan prawns,chopped
- ½ cup vegan bacon bits
- 1 cup thinly sliced cabbage
- ½ cup green onions,chopped
- For the Sriracha mayo
- ½ cup vegan mayo
- 1 tablespoon mirin
- 1 tablespoon Sriracha
- For the okonomiyaki sauce
- Mix 2 tablespoons ketchup+ 2 tablespoons vegan worcestershire sauce (or coconut aminos for soy-free)
- For garnish
- Green onions
- Sesame seeds
- Furikake (seaweed rice seasoning)
- Aonori (seaweed powder)
- Beni shoga (pickled ginger)
- Combine cake flour,dulse and baking powder in a large bowl.
- Mix in water (or dashi) and the Vegg until smooth.
- Add cabbage, green onions, prawns and bacony bits.
- Heat a non stick skillet over high heat.
- Pour half of the mixture into the pan and form into a pancake.
- Cover and cook for 2 minutes. Flip the pancake, cover and cook for another 2 minutes.
- Flip one last time,cover and cook for 3 minutes.
- Brush with okonomiyaki sauce and garnish with Sriracha mayo, seaweed, sesame seeds,beni shoga (pickled ginger) and green onions.
© 2012 – 2014, Veggietorials. All rights reserved.Use of any content or image requires a link back to the original post