Since my last two recipes required some exotic ingredients, I thought I’d dial it back with a quick ‘n dirty Curry Rice.
Serve it as a satisfying side dish or easily gussy it up for a complete meal. While I prefer the sweet-tart-tang of cranberries and curry, occasionally I mix it up with raisins, dried apricots or cherries.
- 3 cups jasmine rice (cooked in 3¾ cups water)
- 1 cup sweet onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 small bunch cilantro ( leaves removed, stems chopped)
- 2T curry powder
- ¾ cup chopped pecans
- ½ cup chopped dried cranberries
- 2T olive oil
- Cook the jasmine rice and set aside to cool.
- Begin with a large pan or wok on med high heat.
- Add 2T olive oil and sauté the onions and garlic with the curry powder plus a generous pinch of salt until fragrant.
- Add chopped cilantro stems, cranberries, pecans .
- Add cooked and cooled rice to the sauté mixture.
- Stir until all ingredients are combined and the rice has an even golden color.
- Remove from heat. Add cilantro leaves right before serving.
I added the nuts for a crunchy texture but they’re totally optional.
Use garbanzos, lentils or your favorite bean to bump up the protein.
Serve with greens and you’ve got a complete meal!
© 2014, Veggietorials. All rights reserved.Use of any content or image requires a link back to the original post