These baked sweet potatoes have a sweet & spicy Southwest twist that creates a flavor explosion in yo’ mouth. Blend up the margaritas and make the sweet taters as a side to my Calabacitas or Tortilla Chip Queso Casserole . Keep it simple and serve over beans and rice with a green salad for an easy weeknight meal.
I was in Bend,OR last year when I first tried this flavor combo at Barrio. Zee taste buds approved! My inner recipe detective lead me straight to Rick Bayless working it out in this version here. With a few quick nips and tucks I present my version with some very basic ingredients. Do not, I repeat ” do not” use sh*tty spices. A bold chili powder blend with complimentary spices is a must,that’s all the magic creating the complexity of this dish. If you’re mixing your own, try some ancho or chipotle powder,cumin,coriander,cocoa powder, cinnamon,nutmeg,oregano,ground ginger…go crazy with it.
- 2 medium sized sweet potatoes,cut into wedges
- 5 cloves roasted garlic
- 1 large orange zested and juiced
- 1 tablespoon chili powder spice blend
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- optional- ¼ cup salsa or your favorite hot sauce
- optional- 1-2 teaspoons agave nectar
- 8x8 baking dish
- vegetable oil
- aluminum foil
- Preheat oven to 350F degrees.
- Wash and scrub sweet potatoes,cut into wedges.
- Whisk orange juice,chili powder,roasted garlic and salt in a small bowl.
- Taste and adjust seasonings.
- If you prefer a dish with more heat, add the salsa or hot sauce.
- If you fancy a sweeter flavor, add the agave nectar.
- Spray baking dish with vegetable oil and arrange sweet potato wedges in an even layer.
- Pour orange juice mixture over the sweet potatoes and cover with foil.
- Bake covered for 45minutes or just until the sweet potatoes can be pierced with a fork.
- Remove foil and turn up the oven to 425F degrees.
- Braise the sweet 'taters with the juices and cook for an additional 15 minutes.
- Garnish with orange zest.
- Serve as a side dish or over rice and beans with a green salad for a complete meal.
© 2013 – 2014, Veggietorials. All rights reserved.Use of any content or image requires a link back to the original post