I have a soup muse. My Uncle Jim, aka The Most Interesting Man in the World, was a fan of Chuck Todd’s “White House Soup of the Day” segment on The Daily Rundown. If one of the soups intrigued my uncle, he’d call me up and ask if I had a recipe. We started with Carrot Dill Soup and Gazapacho over the summer but I was saving this rich, creamy bowl of Red Lentil Coconut comfort for cozy Fall weather. It’s officially sweater weather here in the PNW, so bust out the soup pots and fire up the burners!
Red Lentil Coconut Curry Soup
- 1 small yellow onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon ginger, minced
- 2 small carrots, chopped
- 1 cup red lentils, rinsed and drained
- 1 15oz. can fire roasted diced tomatoes
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 tablespoon ghost curry powder (more to taste)
- 2 tablespoons Sriracha sauce
- 1 teaspoon coconut oil
- salt & pepper
- Heat coconut oil in a large pot over med-high heat
- Add onions, ginger and garlic, sauté for 1 minute
- Add carrots, season with salt & pepper
- Add curry powder, stir until fragrant.
- Add vegetable broth, stir and scrape any brown bits off the bottom of the pot
- Add red lentils. Cover pot and cook on medium heat for 10 minutes
- Add diced tomatoes,Sriracha and coconut milk, mix well.
- Cover and cook for 20 minutes on medium heat
- Taste the soup and adjust seasonings
- Blend half of the soup mixture until smooth, return to pot and mix well.
- Garnish with chopped cilantro
Since my last two recipes required some exotic ingredients, I thought I’d dial it back with a quick ‘n dirty Curry Rice.
Serve it as a satisfying side dish or easily gussy it up for a complete meal. While I prefer the sweet-tart-tang of cranberries and curry, occasionally I mix it up with raisins, dried apricots or cherries.
Continue Reading →
Remember that time I was at ExpoWest? Somehow, I convinced all these awesome Vegan Superstars to have a dance battle…before sundown, with no music, while completely sober. This is what happened.
Continue Reading →
This is Part 2 of my experience at Natural Products Expo West 2014. It’s an incredible chance to see all of the latest and greatest food, beauty and eco-lifestyle trends in one place. New products should be available in stores by May.
Annnnnd, if you read the YouTube video description box, you’ll find out how to enter my secret giveaway. Good luck!
::Products mentioned in this video::
Love Bean Superfood Fudge
Owl’s Brew Tea Crafted for Cocktails
Blk. Mango Infused Water
Disclaimer: This post was not sponsored but does contain affiliate links. Mahalo to Natural Vitality for donating the giveaway prize pack.
Vegan Cuts Snack Box $19.95
Another snack-tastic delivery for the March 2014 VC Snack Box! My faves were the superfood cereal and (duh) the Ocho dark chocolate coconut. The value and variety make it exciting to tear into each month’s box. Continue Reading →
Name: Geoff Souder
Vegan since: April 1st, 2011
ZE Photography exists because:
I wanted to show the non-vegan world that vegan food consisted of more than grass clippings and wood chips. I figured that if I could show how delicious vegan food is then maybe I could get some people to eat vegan for a meal or two a week. Continue Reading →